Monday 19 August 2013

The Household Economics

What I learned worked for me to keep my dominant side up (and partially save our family from
financial ruin, really men can't control their wallets) was taking control of our family's finances. We
started doing this while we were not married yet and I still had my own bank account. I had a part
time job but as my husband paid the rent and most of our general costs so I transferred the largest
part of my money to him every month. We were one of those families that always had a bit of month
left at the end of their money and took gracious advantage of the credit limit given by our bank.
I took control of our finances by simply swapping bank cards with my then boyfriend and made
sure he had 50 Euro's of pocket money a month.

If something bigger needed to be bought he had to ask me and we would check our current cash position and although I'd listen to his opinion I took the ultimate decision. Apart from the sudden feeling of power it gave me it also improved our financial position in such a way that within 4 months time we were actually saving money instead of digging in to our credit limit! Evidence enough for me that women should always be in charge ;-).

It may sound like a big step but controlling a families funds isn't really that hard. Most costs for
mortgage or rent and insurances are automatically deducted each month and when you see costs
on your bank statement you don't recognize simply ask your partner to explain or help. Just because you are ultimately in control instead of him doesn't mean he can't help out.

A few years in to this lifestyle we have gotten to the point where his wages are automatically deposited in my own account and I pay all costs. Even if you do not choose to go down this road yet (although I strongly advice it - money makes the world go round and being in control of the money usually means being in control in general) make sure you are the one who pays when you go shopping  or go out to dinner (even if it is with his wallet). It's the small things that make a woman feel powerful and your partner submissive. You'll learn to love it and it also shows other people who is in charge in a very subtle way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.